Cities and Towns in the United States > Citizenship > How to Get a Marriage Green Card in the US


Reconnecting with your spouse is an integral aspect of the growth of any relationship. If you are married to a US citizen, you can apply for the marriage green card and become a permanent resident of the USA if you use the following route.

How to apply for a marriage green card

What is a Marriage Green Card?

A marriage green card is a legal document allowing spouses of US citizens to relocate, live and work anywhere within the country. The holder receives the permanent residence status until they decide to apply for citizenship.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply for this visa if you are married to a US citizen and are at least 18 years. Every applicant should be admissible to the US and have no criminal record on crimes against humanity.


If you are in the US, you must ascertain you tick all the mandatory boxes, including:

  • • Correctly filling out form I-485

  • • Paroled or admitted into the US after inspection

  • • Eligible for an immigrant visa

  • • Still have a relationship with your partner

  • • Admissibility to the US for permanent residence or eligible for or a waiver of inadmissibility

If you are outside the US, you will need to fill out form I-130 and then wait for the embassy or consulate to provide an update regarding the application’s progress.

Requirements And Documentation Needed

Applications for this visa are strict. Therefore, you must ensure you have all the necessary documents and requirements before and during the process. These are:

Where and How to Apply

Applications for the marriage certificate are available online. Once you maneuver to the official state website, create an account and begin the application. Scan all the necessary documents you need and upload them on the application forms. If you’re not confident about using the internet, the immigration department allows you to send the paper application via mail. Download and print the applicable forms, fill them out, attach the necessary documents and mail your application to the address provided in the instructions.

Immigration accepts applications from people outside the US. If you are applying from abroad, you can fill out the forms and find the proper address for mailing your application. You can also utilize the USCIS website or apply via a designated consulate or US embassy in your country.

You can apply for a marriage visa if your spouse is living outside the US. You will only have to provide extra identification details and complete the necessary forms. Either of the three options is available at your disposal. You can also ask your spouse to apply on your behalf from their location.

Can You Check the Status of Your Application?

You can find out how far your application has moved using an array of options. If you applied on the website, visit this portal and use your receipt number as a reference to follow up on the process. If you applied via mail, you can send a request to the immigration department for information regarding the application’s status. You can also visit the embassy or consulate for in-person inquiries.

Cost, Validity, and Processing Time

Applications for this green card cost $535, and it takes about 10-13 months to complete the application process. A marriage visa is valid for a lifetime since it gives you a chance to become a US citizen.