Cities and Towns in the United States > Identification > How to Change Your Address in The US


If you plan to move to, from, or within the United States, you must complete a Change of Address form. Depending on your living situation, you have two possible choices. In this article you will learn how to change your address and why it’s important to do so.

Change of Address Options

When filing a change of address in the US, there are two options: you can choose a Permanent Address Change if you are moving to a new address with no plans to return to the previous one, or choose a Temporary Address Change if you will be moving back to your old address within six months.

In addition to filing with the United States Postal Service (USPS), you will also want to notify the following organizations of your address change.

Changing Your Address in the US

Reasons Why It’s Important to File a Change of Address

You may think that filing an address change with the USPS is unnecessary in this day and age. There are still some good reasons to complete a change of address.

  • • To receive your mail: filing a COA form will ensure your mail continues to find its way to you.

  • • To verify your identity: everyone from your credit card company to your bank uses your residential address to verify your identity. This helps protect you from identity theft. If your credit card company can’t reconcile your shipping address with your billing address, they might freeze your account.

    You can read more about proof of address in the US by clicking here.

  • • To eliminate “dirty data”: dirty data is created when businesses and organizations have inaccurate data like missing or invalid emails, phone numbers, and addresses. By keeping your address current, you are doing your part to eliminate 70% of undelivered mail each year and reduce your carbon footprint.

How to Change Your Address

You can apply for a temporary or permanent change of address in two ways: online or in person.


If you choose the first option, filing your change of address form online is simple. You can find it in the Movers Guide Online on the USPS website. You’ll be asked to pay an identity validation fee of $1.10 using an accepted credit/ debit payment form. You will also need to provide an email address. If you are military, you will need to have an email that ends in .mil or .gov.

This is the fastest and easiest way to change your address, and you will immediately receive an email confirmation. Some third parties may offer a service of $40 to process a change of address on your behalf. Don’t fall for this, as they are doing the same thing you can do yourself for $1.10 on the USPS website. If you are moving to the US from an international location, you cannot submit online.

In person

If you choose to file your change of address in person instead, you need to find your local post office and ask for the Mover’s Guide Packet. Inside, you will find coupons, offers from local businesses, and PS Form 3575. Complete the form and present it to the postal worker behind the counter or drop it in the mailbox at the post office.

Within five business days, you should receive a confirmation letter at your new address. No payment is required to submit a form in person.