How do I get a Maine birth certificate?
To obtain a birth certificate or other vital records in Maine, you can request them from the Maine Vital Records Office. The requirements and procedure for ordering a birth certificate are as follows:
- • The person whose birth certificate is being requested must have been born in Maine.
- • The requester must be eligible to obtain the certificate. This includes the person named on the certificate, an immediate family member (spouse, parent, sibling, or child), a legal representative, or someone who can demonstrate a direct and tangible interest in the record.
- • The requester must provide valid government-issued identification, such as a driver's license or passport.
- • Payment is required to obtain a copy of the record.
- • Fill out the birth certificate application form which can be found on the Maine Vital Records website.
- • Provide a copy of your government-issued identification.
- • Pay the fee, which is $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time.
- • Mail the completed application, ID copy, and payment to the Maine Vital Records Office. The address can be found on the application form.
- • Alternatively, you can order a birth certificate in person at the Maine Vital Records Office. The office is located in Augusta, Maine.
Other vital records such as death, marriage, and divorce certificates can also be obtained from the Maine Vital Records Office using a similar procedure. Please note that there may be additional requirements or fees depending on the type of record requested.